Job Title - Resident Journalism Advisor, Central African Republic (the)
Closing Date - 30 Sep 2009
Organisation - Internews Network Inc.
URL Address -
Resident Journalism Advisor
Internews Network Inc.
International non-profit media development organization
Closing date: 30 Sep 2009
Location: Central African Republic (the) - Bangui
Internews® Network is an international media development organization
based in Arcata, CA and Washington, D.C. whose mission is to empower
people worldwide with the news and information they need, the ability to
connect, and the means to make their voices heard.
Internews Network is currently seeking an experienced broadcast
professional for the position of Resident Journalism Advisor to be based
in Bangui, Central African Republic. The position is a one-year
consultancy contract and is contingent upon securing funding.
The position is required to provide training and mentoring to local print
and radio journalists to report precisely and effectively on human rights
and governance issues in the country; to engage government
representatives, civil society and the citizenry in dialogue on these
critical topics; and to develop innovative radio dramas to inform and
engage community members in dialogue around issues of democratic
decision-making and accountability of elected leaders as well as civic
rights and responsibilities, including women's and children's rights.
The position requires experience in managing and training in small
low-tech radio stations preferably in the developing world. The successful
candidate will need to be resilient, resourceful and self motivated to
work in the extremely challenging environment of CAR, and will preferably
have lived in African conflict/post conflict environments. The work
requires extensive travel to remote parts of the country.
- Organize and conduct a series of national and regional level journalism
- Organize and conduct media literacy roundtables with government and
- Travel to community radio station locations in remote regions of CAR on
a regular basis to provide one-on-one mentoring to community radio
- Oversee small travel and production grants to journalism trainees.
- Write, develop and produce a series of radio dramas on human rights.
- Work with local university to strengthen curriculum and provide guest
- Coordinate with Internews partner organizations and other NGOs to
facilitate creative program sharing and collaboration.
- Native or fluent French speaker
- Minimum 5 years radio broadcasting experience, preferably in community
- Experience in broadcast training and mentoring.
- Experience in curriculum development.
- Experience in writing and producing radio dramas.
- Experience in facilitation and training, using hands-on participatory
- Fluency in use of digital field recording equipment, basic studio
equipment and CoolEdit Pro/Adobe Audition.
- Experience living and working in Africa and/or conflict/post-
- Ability to adjust to shifting political circumstances and create
- Sensitivity to cross-cultural dynamics in the work place and experience
- Must be self-reliant, resourceful, good problem-solver, good humored,
- Ability to travel within CAR and willingness to spend extended time in
the field, with limited facilities, often under harsh conditions.
- Relevant university degree.
- Must be computer literate.
How to apply
Interested candidates meeting the qualifications should forward a cover
letter and resume to 876-in(at) internews (dot) org (re-write in standard
format), placing "CAR-RJA-RW + your name" in the subject line. EOE M/F/D/V
Reference Code: RW_7VXPGL-79
This e-mail service is edited, managed and moderated by
George Lessard http://mediamentor.ca
Make a donation via PayPal:
Creative-Radio is an independent forum for people active in or interested in the use of radio in development, in particular promoting public health, improved education, protection of the environment, improved livelihoods, good governance and conflict mitigation. Since it started in 1996, Creative-Radio has been in the forefront of radio's resurgence as a tool for social change and peace-building, and it helps promote best practice in these areas.
Remove _NO_SPAM_ for use
Change your subscription
- to daily digest mode by sending a blank message to:
- to individual e-mails by sending a blank message to:
- delivery on hold by sending a blank message to
Caveat Lector- Disclaimers, NOTES TO EDITORS
& (c) information may be found @
This work is licensed under a
Creative Commons Developing Nations license.
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Because of the nature of email & the WWW,
please check ALL sources & subjects.
Members who post to this list retain their copyright but grant a non-exclusive license to others to forward any message posted here. They also grant the list owner permission to maintain an archive or approve the archiving of list messages.
Other use of e-mail to this list requires the permission of individual writers