Assistant Resident Journalism Advisor - Sudan
Location: Southern Sudan
Internews® Network is an international media development organization
based in Arcata, CA and Washington, DC whose mission is to empower local
media worldwide to give people the news and information
they need, the ability to connect, and the means to make their voices
Internews Network is currently seeking a broadcast professional for the
position of Assistant Resident Journalism Advisor to be based in Southern
Sudan. The position is a roving, field based position and requires living
in the communities where the stations are operating. It involves providing
on-going training and mentoring, and building the managerial and
journalistic capacity of community radio station staff in remote parts of
The position requires experience in training in small low-tech radio
stations preferably in the developing world. The successful candidate will
need to be resilient, resourceful and self motivated to work in the
extremely challenging environment of Southern Sudan and will preferably
have lived in African conflict/post conflict environments. The work
requires extensive travel to remote parts of Southern Sudan. Competitive
salary and benefits
Duties and Responsibilities:
* In conjunction with the Deputy Country Director/Senior Training
Manager, assist in the development and implementation of a broadcast
training program for up to 6 community radio stations
* Organize workshops and train community radio reporters and managers
with limited experience on a variety of topics, with special emphasis
on content, production and radio station management
* Assist in development and implementation of community radio station
policies, structures, and general operating procedures to ensure
smooth and professional running of the stations. Train station
management staff in these procedures and ensure adherence to same.
* Travel to community radio station locations in remote regions of
southern Sudan and the Three Areas on a regular basis to provide
necessary guidance and oversee daily operations and programming
schedules of the radio stations
* Assist in development of station identity/branding
* Assist in all Monitoring & Evaluation aspects of the project,
including daily program logs and training reports
* Coordinate with Internews partner organizations and other NGOs to
facilitate creative program sharing and collaboration
* Work extensively in the community to increase community
participation in creative radio programming
* Provide media literacy training with NGOs, government partners and
* Minimum 3 years radio broadcasting experience, preferably in
* Experience in broadcast training and mentoring.
* Fluency in use of digital field recording equipment, basic studio
equipment and CoolEdit Pro/Adobe Audition.
* Experience living and working in Africa and/or
* Ability to adjust to shifting political circumstances and create
* Sensitivity to cross-cultural dynamics in the work place
and experience supervising staff
* Must be self-reliant, resourceful, good problem-solver, good
humored, and flexible.
* Ability to travel within Southern Sudan and the Three Areas.
Willingness to spend extended time in the field, with limited
facilities, often under harsh conditions.
* Must be computer literate.
Interested candidates meeting the qualifications should forward a cover
letter and resume to: hr.nairobi@internew
format), placing "ARA SD - IN" in the subject line. EOE M/F/D/V
Application Deadline: 30th November 2009.
This e-mail service is edited, managed and moderated by
George Lessard http://mediamentor.ca
Make a donation via PayPal:
Creative-Radio is an independent forum for people active in or interested in the use of radio in development, in particular promoting public health, improved education, protection of the environment, improved livelihoods, good governance and conflict mitigation. Since it started in 1996, Creative-Radio has been in the forefront of radio's resurgence as a tool for social change and peace-building, and it helps promote best practice in these areas.
Remove _NO_SPAM_ for use
Change your subscription
- to daily digest mode by sending a blank message to:
- to individual e-mails by sending a blank message to:
- delivery on hold by sending a blank message to
Caveat Lector- Disclaimers, NOTES TO EDITORS
& (c) information may be found @
This work is licensed under a
Creative Commons Developing Nations license.
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Because of the nature of email & the WWW,
please check ALL sources & subjects.
Members who post to this list retain their copyright but grant a non-exclusive license to others to forward any message posted here. They also grant the list owner permission to maintain an archive or approve the archiving of list messages.
Other use of e-mail to this list requires the permission of individual writers