RT @creative_radio: Bario Community Radio - Borneo http://ow.ly/2YiwK Enrichment & preservation of the local indigenous cultures
In July 2009, e-Bario Sdn Bhd was awarded a grant by the Indigenous Peoples Assistance Facility of the International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD) to set up a community radio station. Community radio is a form of low-power small-scale FM broadcasting that is run by and for the community it serves. The function of Bario Radio is to extend the information services of the e-Bario telecentre into the homes of the residents of the surrounding area.
It is expected that this innovation will result in:
- Enrichment and preservation of the local indigenous cultures; particularly languages, music, history, song and verse.
- Reductions in poverty as greater levels of information are diffused throughout the isolated indigenous communities relating to economic, educational and health-related activities.
- A more cohesive community; through the airing and discussion of social problems, for example relating to health, agriculture, economic activities or coping with emergencies.
- A better connected population; through the rapid and widespread communication of important messages.
- More socially inclusive Peoples; by reaching everyone in their homes, radio brings benefits to all demographic groups; women, parents, students, the elderly, small children, the unemployed.
- A more democratic organization; community radio facilitates discussion of local issues by local people and it provides a forum for debate between them and their elected representatives.
- More culturally robust Peoples. Community radio is an effective platform for promoting entertainments and the arts.
This e-mail service is edited, managed and moderated by
George Lessard http://mediamentor.ca
Messages posted here are now automatically posted on Twitter at:
Make a donation via PayPal:
Creative-Radio is an independent forum for people active in or interested in the use of radio in development, in particular promoting public health, improved education, protection of the environment, improved livelihoods, good governance and conflict mitigation. Since it started in 1996, Creative-Radio has been in the forefront of radio's resurgence as a tool for social change and peace-building, and it helps promote best practice in these areas.
Remove _NO_SPAM_ for use
Change your subscription
- to daily digest mode by sending a blank message to:
- to individual e-mails by sending a blank message to:
- delivery on hold by sending a blank message to
Caveat Lector- Disclaimers, NOTES TO EDITORS
& (c) information may be found @
This work is licensed under a
Creative Commons Developing Nations license.
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Because of the nature of email & the WWW,
please check ALL sources & subjects.
Members who post to this list retain their copyright but grant a non-exclusive license to others to forward any message posted here. They also grant the list owner permission to maintain an archive or approve the archiving of list messages.
Other use of e-mail to this list requires the permission of individual writers