100 Awesome Open Source Tools for Writers, Journalists, and Bloggers
Posted by Site Administrator in Learning Tools on 06 9th, 2009 | no responses
Whether you're a blogger, journalist, or writer, you know that the days of
pen and paper alone are long gone. These days, you have a huge arsenal of
tools at your disposal, from word processors, to content management
systems, organization, and more, many of them open source and even free.
Read on, and you'll learn about 100 open source tools that can make your
life as a writer easier.
Find links to items at
1. Open Source Writers Group: Join this group to get lots of great
2. OpenOffice Writer: OpenOffice Writer offers a fully featured,
familiar, and easy to use word processor.
3. wikidPad: Use this wiki-style notepad to keep your ideas and notes
together, and even cross-reference information.
4. AbiWord: AbiWord is one of the most popular open source word
5. WordIt: WordIt is a simple, small word processor with advanced
6. Amaya: With this web editing program, you'll be able to update and
edit your content right on the Web.
7. Bean: Use this lightweight word processor to easily write and edit.
8. PDF Creator: PDF Creator offers a simple way to create new PDF files.
9. Scribus: Use Scribus as a writing tool and desktop publishing solution.
10. yWriter: Designed specifically for writers, yWriter will keep you
focused and organized.
11. Jarnal: Jarnal offers a great way to take notes, annotate documents,
12. Kword: This tool offers frame-based word processing.
13. RoughDraft: This tool is great for organizing stories or screenplays.
14. NotePad++: NotePad++ is the open source version of Microsoft's NotePad.
15. NeoOffice: In this open source suite, you'll find a word processor
for Mac users.
16. TiddlyWiki: TiddlyWiki is a wiki style notebook that makes it easy
for you to take notes or hang onto ideas.
Publishing, Sharing & Content Management
Manage and share your writings with these useful tools.
17. MediaWiki: You'll be able to easily publish and edit your webpages
18. Joomla!: Joomla is a very powerful open source content management
19. Cabos: Cabos is a simple, easy to use program for filesharing.
20. FireFTP: This FTP program works directly with Firefox, so it's easy
to get your content online.
21. Gnucleus: Gnucleus offers Gnutella search and download filesharing.
22. Drupal: Drupal is a powerful open source content management system,
supporting websites, blogs, communities, and more.
23. Sun Weblog Publisher: Make publishing from StarOffice and OpenOffice
super easy with this extension for WordPress, Blogger, and other
24. Plone: This content management system is built on top of Zope.
25. Azureus: Azureus is a very powerful client for BitTorrent.
26. XOOPS: This dynamic web content management system is extensible and
27. WebGUI: WebGUI offers a web application framework and web content
28. NVU: NVU is a fully featured web authoring system.
29. Filezilla FTP: Put your writing files on the web easily with FileZilla.
30. Opencms: Opencms is a professional and easy to use website content
management system usable in open source environments and commercial
Here you'll find blogging platforms and more.
31. Thingamablog: This blogging application offers effortless authoring
32. Pebble: In Pebble, you'll find a lightweight open source blogger
that's written as a web application.
33. Juice: Use Juice as a podcasting client.
34. WordPress: Bloggers can use open source WordPress to create a
35. SnipSnap: This free, easy tool offers blogging and wiki functionality.
36. DLOG4J: DLOG4J offers WYSIWYG blogging and comment editing, RSS, and
37. Blog: This software allows you to manage a multiple topic blog and
38. PowerBlog: PowerBlog is an open source, Windows-based desktop
39. Blojsom: Get a simple, lightweight blog package in Blojsom.
40. Piwik: Use Piwik to monitor your blog's stats.
41. Google Blog Converters: This software allows you to easily move blog
posts and comments over from service to service.
42. Roller: Roller is an open source J2EE blog platform.
43. Blogunity: Blogunity offers community based blogging software.
Dictionary & Spell Check
Make sure your writing is impeccable with the help of these tools.
44. GNU Aspell: GNU Aspell offers advanced open source spell checking.
45. WordNet: Use WordNet, and you'll be able to look up loads of
46. JaLingo: Look up dictionary words right from your desktop using
47. SpellJax: Make sure your spelling is perfect with SpellJax.
48. WordWeb: WordWeb offers a dictionary as well as a thesaurus.
49. Word Count Plus: Find out how many words you've written with the
help of Word Count Plus.
50. Bibus: Use Bibus to make sure you're properly citing your sources.
51. StarDict: Use this tool to look up words in your own dictionary
52. WBOSS: This open source script will allow you to paste text and find
53. GNU Style and Diction: Use GNU Style and Diction to ensure that your
writing is free of cliches and other common problems.
54. Graviax: Get a quick grammar check using this tool.
These tools will give you the power to keep everything together.
55. Research Assistant: Keep your research organized with this useful tool.
56. EverNote: With EverNote, you can store and organize your writing
57. Celtx: Celtx makes it easy for you to keep all of your writing
organized, especially if you use lots of special formatting.
58. Sonar: Use Sonar to keep track of your publishing submissions.
59. LyX: Using LyX, you can organize and format your writing.
60. StorYBook: Keep all of your data coherent and organized with the
help of StorYBook.
61. Tellico: Use Tellico to easily manage any collection, whether it's
your writings or reference materials.
62. TreePad Lite: With the help of TreePad, you'll be able to keep track
of your notes, reference materials, and more.
63. SAMM: Stay on top of your writing submissions and more with SAMM.
These tools will help you explore and become inspired.
64. XMind: Map out your concepts with the help of XMind.
65. Prompts: Use Prompts to get inspiration and get your creative juices
66. Freemind: With this mind mapping tool, you'll be able to explore all
of your great ideas.
67. Comapping: Comapping allows you to map ideas in real time with
Stay in touch and collaborate with the help of these tools.
68. Zimbra: Use this email solution that offers backup and recovery,
anti spam and anti virus, and more.
69. Pidgin: Use Pidgin to connect multiple IM accounts at once.
70. Rubrica: Rubrica is an address book manager for GNOME.
71. Asterisk: Asterisk is a complete telecommunications platform.
72. Gaim: You'll be able to chat on just about any platform with this tool.
73. Mozilla Thunderbird: Mozilla Thunderbird has lots of great features
for email, including powerful spam filtering.
74. Miranda: Miranda is an instant messenger that supports loads of
Prepare videos, audio, images, and more for the web and beyond with these
75. GIMP: With this powerful image editor, you'll be able to prepare
images for publication.
76. VirtualDub: VirtualDub is a video capture and processing utility.
77. Miro: Miro is a fully featured video tool for you to use.
78. ImageMagick: ImageMagick makes it easy for you to create, edit, and
compose bitmap images.
79. Gallery: Gallery is an open source photo sharing project with basic
80. Paint.NET: Paint.NET is a graphics editor that offers a great
81. Pencil: You can create hand drawn animations with the help of Pencil.
82. MediaCoder: MediaCoder: MediaCoder is a free universal batch media
83. Inkscape: Bring your writing work to life with original drawings,
maps, and other illustrations.
84. Artweaver: Get creative and add artistic effects with Artweaver.
85. Audacity: Audacity is a simple sound recording tool.
Here you'll find a variety of tools that make working easier.
86. Launchy: Launchy will make it easy for you to get all of your
important programs open with just a few keystrokes.
87. ZManda: Make sure you back up your important information with the
help of ZManda.
88. Mozilla SeaMonkey: Mozilla's Sea Monkey offers an all in one
solution for web editing, chatting, email, and browsing.
89. Spreeder: Do all of your reading faster with the help of Spreeder.
90. Docvert: With Docvert, you can convert old files into a new, more
91. ASuite: ASuite offers a great way to keep your important documents
and more on your USB drive.
92. Writer's Tools: This all around tool will help users of OpenOffice
with document backup, translation, and more.
93. TrueCrypt: Using TrueCrypt, you'll be able to send material in a
94. Eraser: With Eraser, you can remove sensitive data from your hard
95. Mozilla Firefox: Use this open source browser for research and more.
96. phpMyVisits: Use this software for website statistics, audience
measurements, and more.
97. PeaZip: PeaZip is a great tool for extracting and packing writing
98. EyeOS: EyeOS makes it easy to create a mobile desktop, so you can
work from anywhere.
99. SuperShredder: Make sure your sensitive files are shredded with
100. txt2tags: Get your text coded easily with this open source program.
This e-mail service is edited, managed and moderated by
George Lessard http://mediamentor.ca
Make a donation via PayPal:
Creative-Radio is an independent forum for people active in or interested in the use of radio in development, in particular promoting public health, improved education, protection of the environment, improved livelihoods, good governance and conflict mitigation. Since it started in 1996, Creative-Radio has been in the forefront of radio's resurgence as a tool for social change and peace-building, and it helps promote best practice in these areas.
Remove _NO_SPAM_ for use
Change your subscription
- to daily digest mode by sending a blank message to:
- to individual e-mails by sending a blank message to:
- delivery on hold by sending a blank message to
Caveat Lector- Disclaimers, NOTES TO EDITORS
& (c) information may be found @
This work is licensed under a
Creative Commons Developing Nations license.
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Because of the nature of email & the WWW,
please check ALL sources & subjects.
Members who post to this list retain their copyright but grant a non-exclusive license to others to forward any message posted here. They also grant the list owner permission to maintain an archive or approve the archiving of list messages.
Other use of e-mail to this list requires the permission of individual writers